.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Peg Warming: The Story Of My Life

A peg warmer is an action figure that was over-ordered and is now hanging dusty in some discount aisle. Perhaps it's my sick mind, but I think the term is hinting at something sexual. I make no claims that these posts are interesting or even worthy of your time. Read at your own risk!

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Social Etiquette

Today I was taking the bus home from school. I sit down and notice that I'm facing someone a girl who I had a class with last term. I don't really know her outside of class but we shared a couple conversations before. Even now I can't seem to recall her name.

In all honesty, I didn't really want to talk to her, but I felt obligated to say "hi" because I didn't want to act like we never met. This was all on the assumption that she had also noticed me. I never really know what to do in these situations. If she's anything like me, all she wants to do is sit quietly on the bus and be left alone...but she's not me...

After a couple minutes, I pretended that I only noticed her at that moment and said hello. We talked for a couple minutes, but I didn't know whether I should have went back to reading. She was also reading prior to my interruption and I didn't want her to feel obligated to talk to me. We ended up talking till her stop (which luckily was not very long).

I hate situations like this. If it was a good friend, I would have no problems talking to them, but for passing acquaintances it's more difficult to judge. Does the other person even want to talk or do they just feel the same obligation to make chit-chat?

Man, I sound really neurotic right now.

1 Comments:

At 1:34 AM, Blogger Andy said...

personally, tho i love talking to people generally, i'm not particularly fond of the stop-and-chat, and i think usually the other person doesn't either. people just feel like they have a weird social obligation to talk to each other. perhaps to signify to the other person that they are still on good terms with them.

i think it's a waste of time tho. it's really awkward because usually you're both in the middle of doing something, or on your way somewhere, so there's this pressure to end it as quickly as you can hanging over you. also, why bother to stop and ask questions about things that you honestly don't care about? "oh, how have you been?" "what have you been up to?" "we should totally get together some time. call me!" had i really wanted to kno about these things, i probably would already have called the person up and asked them. it's all kinda fake and i feel like everyone would be better off if it didn't happen at all. i'm not anti-social, but i try to do my part by either pretending i don't see people or avoiding people altogether.

i think in your situation of having sat down rite in front of her, i would have felt like an asshole if i hadn't said anything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home