.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Peg Warming: The Story Of My Life

A peg warmer is an action figure that was over-ordered and is now hanging dusty in some discount aisle. Perhaps it's my sick mind, but I think the term is hinting at something sexual. I make no claims that these posts are interesting or even worthy of your time. Read at your own risk!

Monday, June 13, 2005

Tolerance vs. Acceptance?

Apparently, one of my good friends told me that I've been acting very irritated recently, probably within the last few months. The only thing that I can think of that might have changed how I interact with my friends is in their reciprocal treatment of me.

They've known that I am gay for a couple years now. Initially, they accepted it but never really acknowledged it beyond little friendly jokes that I enjoyed as well. After all, I felt that at least with jokes, they showed some acknowledgement for me. But lately, I believe that I've become somewhat irritated at my friends. Every time we hang out, they talk about girls and who they would like to go out with...typical straight-guy talk. I'm fine with it and it's to be expected that a bunch of guys would talk about such things.

What gets me mad a little is that they don't want me to talk about who I find attractive and similar issues. I can understand their disinterest, but to silence me simply because I have different preferences is a point that I, up until recently, have begun to hate.

We were at the beach recently, when the friend I got in an argument with in the previous post said right off the bat, "If you see someone you think is hot, keep it to yourself". I laughed it off, but it actually really hurt me.

They "tolerate" me, but they don't really "accept" me. Then they have the nerve to get mad and me for being irritable in the oft occasion. Yep, those are my "friends".

Writing this all out is actually very therapeutic. My thoughts are so much clearer. I have to question why I still consider them my friends. Are they still "friends" in the true sense of the word?

p.s. Today I called the friend I argued with to apologize. I figured, I would just say I'm sorry and put this whole thing behind us. He basically stonewalled me. He kept saying, "is that it?" like he really wanted to get off the phone. Right now, I'm not sure whether he's still mad, or whether it his male bravado trying to hold back any signs of weakness by accepting my apology.

Why do straight males have to be so stubborn when it comes to expressing any sort of emotion besides anger?

I'll keep you posted on further developments.

2 Comments:

At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These friends would suck for me. And not literally. My straight guy friends would let me talk about the hot guys... they're more interested in what aspect of maleness I find hot than in shutting me up. I would ditch these friends.

 
At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I read your message on the pride listserv. I have totally experienced this and I know how much it sucks. What helped me was making more queer friends who could share my experiences so that when I felt left out or simply "tolerated" I had other friends to turn to. And if anyone was just too negative, I cut them out. Who needs friends like that? There's enough prejudice out there from strangers, why accept it from friends as well? Just because they will grudgingly "tolerate" you, doesn't mean you have to tolerate them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home